Monday, May 4, 2009

Artist 9 - Daniel Rozin

Daniel Rozin developed mirrors made completely of wood that were capable of reflecting a person’s image on their surface.  The mirrors are over five feet in height and over eight hundred wooden squares make up their reflective surfaces.  In order to make them work, each mirror has video cameras, a motor, and a computer.  Of his first mirror, built in 1999, the artist wrote, “Built in 1999, this is the first mechanical mirror I built. This piece explores the line between digital and physical, using a warm and natural material such as wood to portray the abstract notion of digital pixels” 

I was drawn to this because I have grown up around wood all my life, and to think of it as alive and responsive is kind of neat.  The mirrors are not only visually appealing, but also create something visually appealing within them.  It would be wonderful to stand in front of one and see what it did with my image.

No comments:

Post a Comment