Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Reflection on Self Portraits

This project asking us to create self portraits really made me consider what is objectivity and what is subjectivity.  Facebook as an either or, or a translation of subjective to objective affected much of what I was able to do since it provided readily available photos to incorporate into the project.  For the objective portrait, I thought that a candid photo was really important for expressing myself objectively.  For the subjective portrait my initial thought was to take pictures of all my friends and bring them together in a collage, but as I was going through their photos I realized that it was important to me to know how that picture came to be and that it meant something to me.  They had pictures that demonstrated the subjective becoming objective because I could only take them at face value, but I was interested in the ones that still had subjective meaning for me.  This project forced me to evaluate pictures and art in the two terms dictated and it was a lot more difficult than I thought it would be.

No comments:

Post a Comment