Monday, March 16, 2009

Reflection on Pictionary

Starting with just a single word as inspiration for an entire art piece was a difficult assignment. It’s so easy to come with images that trigger that picture in your own mind, but what represents a word or idea for you can be completely different for someone else. My word was heterogeneous, and what immediately came to mind was a heterosexual couple. Then as I thought about more of what that word actually meant I thought of a lot of different things living harmoniously. America, a salad, trail mix, they all are many very different things living together in, for the most part, harmony. Then my friend reminded me of the research that Gregor Mendel did with pea pods and breeding them to make different breeds make much better species. So I decided to include him. Finally there was the picture of various colors of hands that looked to me to be global and unifying through their differences. All of these say heterogeneous to me, but that is my own perspective brought through and therefore what made this project so difficult; I couldn’t just think of it from my prospective, but from everyone else’s as well.

Obviously there were some easier ideas to convey, such as balance, because people’s perspectives on it are very close, but
others such as asymmetrical were trickier.

No comments:

Post a Comment