Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Scrapbook - 1

I was sitting in my Abnormal Psychology class today, paying attention to everything but my professor, when I started to play with my earring.  I couldn't remember for a moment which ones I had put this morning, so I took it out of my ear to look.  It was a little gold sand dollar that I had rediscovered over Christmas Break that I had dismissed when they had been given to me as a Bat Mitzvah present over 6 years ago.  As I twirled the perfect replica of the beach rarity, I realized that I had a lot of interesting and special earrings and decided that was what my first scrapbook would be on.  


Every day we regard earrings that people are wearing, whether we realize it or not.  Whether it is in passing or they make us look up and notice, they decorate us as accessories will and make us feel special.  But what are they other than little bits of metal and stone?  They are only as good as the meaning we give to them, so I took a collection of my favorite earrings and scanned them into my computer to scrapbook.


They are not art because they have become so commonplace.  Obviously some could be arguably artsy, but most are everywhere.  My little gold sand dollars are special to me, but when I showed them to my roommate she replied, "Oh yea, I have those".  Earrings are special because we say they are, but in reality each is only as good as the worth they have to someone worthwhile.  


CarolineResidenceHall.kmz

No comments:

Post a Comment